Make an appointment

How important is flossing?

After adolescence, when the spaces between your teeth close, your toothbrush can only reach approximately 60% of the surfaces of your teeth. For good teeth maintenance, it is extremely important to clean the other 40% as well, especially as the spaces between your teeth are the areas you are most likely to get gum disease or decay that is difficult to fix. This decay can lead to gum and jawbone (periodontal) disease, a leading cause of tooth loss. By using dental-floss on a daily basis, you are able clean those spaces between your teeth, also minimising common ailments such as bad breath and bleeding gums.

Additionally, there are a number of other products you can use that help to serve the same purpose, but these should be recommended on an individual basis by your Dentist or Oral Health Therapist, as they are location and size dependent.

<< Back